Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Eagle

Bound by evil,
the kind that has no shame or hidden gain
that has only stupidity as its strength and cruelty
as its force.
Bound to deal with the devil’s lowest minion,
to feel its rotting invading tongue touch your
clothes, your books, your headband.
But not bound by its game as long as the game
is relinquished and God is sought when the axe comes down,
then it will pass through you like a phantom axe,
mighty in appearance, but achieving nothing.
Not bound if the worse comes, and still
you stand with peace and dignity, trusting God’s reward
and promise of care.
Not bound if you are free in faith, if you know
yourself to be subject to a richer realm, higher than
these inching worms.

Allison Grayhurst

A Way To Joy

Words and birthday wishes
fall asleep under the light.
In sleep, I see what I do when awake -
shooting stars that fade into dark infinity.
So far, I have a bed, two legs and a mission
I’ve felt before I could speak.
Kiss these hands God, bless this pain in my shoulders,
give me hope for recovery.
Every effort is stultified, has no nucleus,
no path towards the sun. Every movement forward
dissolves into the flavour of the wind, is weak
in its purpose, in its ability to love.
Print my name on your heart. I want to serve,
to walk again across the sand dunes, walk again
hand in hand.

Allison Grayhurst

Alive

on your wave
of wet torment, licking
the moon of your lips,
cradling your breath in my mouth
as I held you submerged in my contracting core,
held you within as you were within
saturated with my pulse and flow.
I went under, planted
in the memories of your soul.
You swallowed our merging
with rapid speed. We evolved, stripped of every season,
you and I with our initials carved on each other’s skin, undulating
in our sensual, blessed commune.

Allison Grayhurst

Because

Because of you
my heart has hatched
its most treasured nerve.
I am no longer nagged by the sulphur darkness
that carves away the surface from my lungs.
Because of you
we have two more to join us on our journey.
Two children, ruled by humour and the deep-drawn breath.
I no longer need false conversation,
struggling to understand the flow.
Because of you
my love has learned how to conjure more love,
reap then sow.

Allison Grayhurst

One Little Heart

One little heart
graced with purity.
Yellow hair and happy eyes
and all the dreams of a child's mind
like the shape of a butterfly in the drain,
or elephants in mushroom soup.

One little girl
dancing to sunshine
making eccentric faces
and laughing outloud.

One little child
painting pictures with her hands,
crying hard for babyhood
and spilling her fears on the ground.

One little heart
unknowing of all the gifts she gives,
of how much love she allows to live
and change this place called home.

Allison Grayhurst

A Piece

Taken like a fallen feather
back to God.
Removed from its plateau
to a higher plain,
to leave the box of memories an empty garden,
to show that love and attachment
are not material, are still vital when
there is no breathing body left. To say it was only a thing
that held too great a significance,
that losing it meant
nothing
and changes nothing
essential.

Allison Grayhurst


Helpless I do not know if good intentions prevail among the elected, among the appointed, leaving me apprehensive that the fate ...